9 weeks …green eggs and ham, and a melt down

So, I obviously skipped 2 weeks, but there was totally a reason. My husband came home for a brief visit!

These are some happy Bat-Boys!

Sharing a hug while waiting at the airport

It was bittersweet, but oh so wonderful. The time went by slowly, which was nice. It felt like we got the most out of each day he was home. We had the chance to go out on a date, thanks to the babysitting services of Erin White! We met up with one of the guys he shared a bathroom with (weird place to spark up a friendship,  I know) and his wife in the city. I got to dress up for my man and enjoy a night out on the town.

We also had our IHOP night! It was so exciting that he got to be there for one of our rituals! His mom sent us Thing 1,2,3,&4 shirts, and in honor of Dr Seuss’s birthday, we wore them proudly and ordered green eggs and ham (except for my husband. He’s too cool for that).

Of course, all good things must come to an end, and my husband’s short break was no exception. I enjoyed every little bit of having him home, and when it came down to the last night, our hearts sank into reality.

Reading his favorite story (a gift from Erin White) before bed
a goodnight kiss…
and then a big squeezing hug…
and prayers.

The men praying a little deeper.
A manly squeezing hug
Doing their overview of the day…

And one last family picture (courtesy of Lehren Walker) before we headed back to the airport.

Our incredible friends Steve, Zach, Lisa, Michelle, and Steven brought over dinner Thursday night and prayed over my husband, and that was amazing. It means so much to my husband that these people care so much about him and our family, and it means so much to me that they love him as deeply as they do. I’m incredibly touched, humbled, and grateful for their support. I’ve never seen military/friendship support like this in all my life. What an honor it is to serve alongside these incredible servants of God in Young Life!

Friday started out difficult with saying goodbye, and then work was extremely rough. I ended up getting stuck there for an extra hour, and then as soon as I got home I learned that the boys were fighting with each other a lot. As if things couldn’t get worse, I received a text from my Saturday babysitter that she couldn’t come the next morning. It was 4:45pm, I was emotionally and physically drained, the boys were stressed, and I didn’t have dinner even started. I sent out a series of desperate texts to every single back-up babysitter in my phone. I hit up my A squad first, the B. I had mini melt-downs in between each “Sorry, I can’t.” Cole tried to console me, as best he could, but his little 6 year old heart isn’t built to support my estrogen-vamped-working-on-only-one-ovary-crazy-emotional-self. So, he had his own, totally warranted melt-down from missing Dad. He was crying and turned to sobbing, and Idan asked him, “Why are you cwying, Cole?” and Cole said, “because I miss Daddy,” and Idan hugged him saying, “Me too.”

then by 9:00pm I hit my Z squad, and I reached my breaking point. All of the emotions were out of whack. I was a puddle of snot and tears. I started frantically researching weekend daycare options-which, by the way, there are none in the whole 30 mile radius! I sent email.s, texts, voicemails, made a facebook post, and prayed.. I hated this feeling of worry, stress, and hopelessness. But, thank the Lord that His power is made perfect in my weakness! At 9:45pm, my original babysitter texted me that should could babysit, after all. I don’t ever want to go through that again!!!!!

So after all of the sweetness of my husband- the hugs, kisses, and all-around comfort and warmth of him sleeping next to me, I’m back to going crazy once again.

Oh, and I went to Walmart to buy pull-ups, and spent $117 on new clothes for Cole, a Cars potty for Idan, and Chapstick.

Until next week, send your crazy to me, since I’m going there anyway!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.